| CEOI 2009|
| Online Contest|
Sightseeing in Târgu-Mureş
|The Palace of Culture [2 George Enescu Street]|
||The Palace of Culture was built during 1911 and 1913 and it is a remarkable construction
in the centre of Târgu-Mureş. It was built in the style of Lechnerian School, on the initiative of
the mayor Bernády György. The Palace is appreciated both for its exterior and interior decoration. The roof is
decorated with blue, ruddy and white tiles. On the main facade the statues and the embossments are in bronze.
The most important features of the building are the monumental mosaic and the bas-reliefs that dominate the
frontispiece, and the interior frescos. Unique stained-glass windows decorate "The Mirror Hall". The interior hall,
which has a 45 m length, is made from Carrara marble and it is defined by two magnificent Venetian mirrors, which give
the visitors the impression of infinite. The Cultural Palace is the home of many cultural institutions, such as
"The State Philharmonic Orchestra", "The County Library", "The Art Museum", the permanent exhibition of the History Museum.
|The Citadel (The Medieval Fortress) [Bernády Square and Mihai Viteazu Street]|
||The Citadel is situated near the centre of Tîrgu-Mureş. The entire site occupies
a 4.3 ha area and it is a 7 stronghold fortified enclosure, which forms a big inside yard. Inside, there are also
the Reformed Church and the Bakery House. The initial fortress, built on the present site in 1492, was finished in 1652 under
the leadership of Báthory István - the ruler of Transylvania. It has a pentagonal plan and it is surrounded by a defense wall.
The fortress has seven strongholds and, according to tradition, five of them carry the name of the crafts which maintained it.
The architecture of the site is influenced by the late Renaissance. The walls, outside plastered and inside decorated simply,
have 3-4 floors. The strongholds were built of river rock and the walls, made from bricks, have an 80-190 cm width.
The fortress hosts many cultural events, such as "The Beer Festival", "The Wine and Juice", "The Small Town of Children" and
|The Administrative Palace [2 Primăriei Street]|
||The first building of the 20th century meant to give a modern, urban look to the centre of the was built
between 1905 and 1907. It was the home of the Town Hall for 55 years. The palace is distinguished by
the 60 m tall tower, initially built as a belfry of the town. Nowadays, it is the home of the Prefecture and of
the Mureş County Council.
|The National Theatre [1 Theatre Square]|
||The National Theatre is known as one of the best artistic companies of Romania and counts more than
60 years of existence. The theatre is the home of two companies, Romanian and Hungarian. It was located in the
building of the Cultural Palace between 1946 and 1973. The present building of the theatre, an eloquent proof of the consideration art
has in Romania, was inaugurated on October 1973. The project of the theatre was done by the architect Constantin Săvescu
from Bucharest, for this creation being awarded with The Architects' Associations Award for 1973. Owing to its prodigious
activity, emphasized along the years by a valuable repertoire, by numerous distinctions acquired at various theatrical festivals
and for its public success, in 1978 to the Theatre of Târgu-Mureş was conferred the name of National Theatre.
|The "Week-End" Spa [Luntraşilor Street]|
||Surrounded by a beautiful landscape, the recreation and sports spa "Mureşul", also known as "Week-End" - a park on the
barrier lake across the river Mureş - provides various possibilities of entertainment and relaxation. It has been used since the end of the
19th century around a former branch of the river Mureş. It all started with a canoeing basin, and today there are four pools of
different sizes and depths, open every summer. You can also rent a boat, as well as do different kinds of sport, like football,
basketball, volleyball, handball, tennis and other leisure activities.
|The "Zoo" [Verii Street]|
||The "Zoo" came into being in the 60s, hosting only 10 animals - 3 wolves, 2 bears, 2 wild boars, 2 pheasants and a deer
- donated by "The Association of Huntsmen" on an area of only 600-700 square meters. In 1965, the "Zoo" was enlarged to 20 ha. Today it
is divided into 5 sectors, hosting 500 animals of 120 different species, guarded by 31 caretakers. Every year, the "Zoo" is visited
by more than 100.000 people.
|The Big Orthodox Cathedral [1 Roses Square]|
||The construction of the Cathedral began in 1925 and was finished in 1934 with the consistent support of the
mayor Emil Dandea. It has the biggest painted area in the whole country and hosts a real masterpiece of Romanian church painting
- the decoration of the dome, carried out by master Aurel Ciupe.
|The Reformed Church [5 Bernády Square]|
||The Reformed Church is one of the oldest religious monuments in Transilvania.
It was built between 1316 and 1442, in the fortress of Tîrgu-Mureş.
The church is built in Late Gothic style.
|The Small Orthodox Cathedral [4 Victory Square]|
||The Small Cathedral lies in the centre of Târgu-Mureş. It was built between 1926 and 1936,
and sanctified with the wake "The Annunciation" ("Lady Day") on 8th September 1936. It belonged to the Greek-Catholic
religion until 1948. Since then it has become an Orthodox church. It is a small reproduction of the "Saint Peter Church" in Rome.
|Roman-Catholic Cathedral [61 Roses Square]|
||Roman-Catholic Cathedral was built by the Jesuit Order during 1728 and 1764 and it is the most important
baroque monument in the city.
|The Synagogue [23 Aurel Filimon Street]|
||The Synagogue was built in the year 1900 by the Jewish community called "Status Quo", a union which
grew from the orthodox community of Transylvanian Jews of the 19th century, from the former Austro-Hungarian Monarchy. It was
designed by architect Jakab Gartner from Vienna.
|The "Teleki-Bolyai" Library [17 Bolyai Street]|
||The Teleki-Bolyai Library is a historic public library and, currently a museum. Being one of the richest
Transylvanian collections of cultural artfacts, it was founded by the Hungarian Count Teleki Sámuel in 1802,
at the time when Transylvania was part of the Habsburg Monarchy, and has been open to the reading public ever since.
It houses over 200,000 volumes, of which many are rarities, constituting a comprehensive scientific
database. The book collection is divided into several smaller libraries, of which the two main donations
are the original 40,000-volume "Teleki Library" and the 80,000-volume "Bolyai Library"; the rest, grouped as
the "Miscellaneous Collection."
|The Apollo Palace [5 Roses Square]|
||The building known as the Apollo Palace was built in eclectically style during 1821 and 1822 at the
initiative of Count Teleki Sámuel. Inside used to take place the theatrical performances of the bands visiting the city.
|The Museum of Ethnography and Folklore [11 Roses Square]|
||The building, called the Toldalagi Palace after its founder Toldalagi László, is one of the most beautiful
baroque palaces built in Transylvania. Since 1984 it has been the home of the department of Ethnography and Folklore of the
Mureş County Museum.|
|The "Köpeczi-Teleki" House [1 Revolution street]|
||The "Köpeczi-Teleki" House is an old palace of the town. It was built in 1554 on the initiative of
Köpeczi Tamás, a high dignitary during the reign of Queen Isabella. Appearance of the house has not been changed since the 50s
of the past century. Therefore, it is an important historical and architectonic monument of Romania.
|University of Medicine and Pharmacy [32 Gheorghe Marinescu Street]|
||Until 1945 the building was the home of the Military High school and was built during 1907 and 1909. Today,
the building hosts the University of Medicine and Pharmacy with its three Faculties: General Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmacy,
and two colleges: the Technical College of Dentistry and the University Medical College.
|The "Petru Maior" University [1 Nicolae Iorga Street]|
||The "Petru Maior" University now develops its activity in the building of the former "Reformed Maid High School",
within which the "Technical Institute of Subengineers" worked until 1989. Today, the university comprises the "Faculty of Engineering",
"Faculty of Science and Literature", "Faculty of Economical Science" and the "Petru Maior University College".
|The Sapientia University [61 The Roses market]|
||The Sapientia University carries on its activity in the university campus, settled on a 27 ha area.
The University is located on Sighişoara Route, at the exit towards Corunca. The University has opened its gates in 2001, once
with the launch of five specializations: Pedagogy, Science, Mechatronics, Computers and Automation. In 2002 the offer was extended
with new specialization: Social communication and Horticulture.
|The "Dimitrie Cantemir" Ecological University [2 Progress Street]|
||The "Dimitrie Cantemir" Ecological University is a private institution of higher education from Târgu-Mure?.
The university was founded in 1991. The first faculty was the "Faculty of Law", followed by the "Faculty of Economical Science" in
1992. Starting with 1993 the "Faculty of Geography and History" and the "Faculty of Psychology and Pedagogy" were introduced,
within which, since 1999, the "Educator-Elementary Teacher Training College" also has been functioning.
|The "Bolyai Farkas" Theoretical High School [3 Bolyai Street]|
||The "Bolyai Farkas" Theoretical High School was named after a brilliant Hungarian mathematician. The institution
itself is one of the oldest from Transylvania. It was founded more then 450 years ago, in 1557. Since then, the institution has
suffered a lot of changes and reorganizations. Today, around 1100 pupils, from 1st grade to 12th grade study at the high-school,
exclusively in Hungarian.
|The "Unirea" National High School [17 Mihai Viteazu Street]|
||The "Unirea" National High School was founded in 1907. Its name is related to the historical event of the
year 1918 - the union of Romania and Transylvania. Starting with the year 2000, the high school receives the title of
"Representative Scholar Institution". It is the second institution from Târgu-Mureş to receive the distinction
of "European School". The title was granted by the Ministry of Education after a contest launched in 2004. The high school
comprises pre-scholar education, as well as primary and secondary schooling.
| "Alexandru Papiu Ilarian" National College [12 Bernády György Street]|
||The current building of "Alexandru Papiu Ilarian" National Colleges was built initially as a Roman-Catholic High School
for boys. During World War I most of the building was occupied by the military hospital, school classes operating only in classrooms
and laboratories on the second floor and the attic. Until 1948 it was a school only for boys then it became a mixed one.